Under the supervision of a Medical Technologist, performs a wide variety of laboratory procedures in all specialty areas within the lab in accordance with the
insures all required information and
documentation are accurately, timely and correctly submitted.
1. Performs, calculates, evaluates and reports laboratory tests : Prepares stains, reagents solutions accurately, Obtains and prepares specimens for testing, Follows procedures to perform tests with expected accuracy and precision, Accurately performs routine testing, Recognizes test results which fall outside established limits and follows established procedures to confirm, Adapts and evaluates new or existing procedures for use within the division, Meets established expectations for turn around time, Uses judgment to evaluate results before reporting, Enters or transcribes information accurately.
2. Quality Management : Performs quality assurance procedures and documents quality control, Performs and documents preventive maintenance, Recognizes quality control discrepancies and takes appropriate action, Recognizes and corrects instrument and procedure discrepancies, Reports discrepancies and actions to the section supervisor, Recommends system changes to improve processes
3. Customer Service : Provides service excellence to internal and external customers through office reception practices, communication management practices, professionally managing customer needs and concerns, anticipating and responding to customer requests, or making active referral to subject matter expert / decision-maker that can fulfill the customer’s request.
Establishes priorities and sets own schedule to accomplish assigned tasks.
4. Communication : Conveys laboratory information accurately, Coordinates absences from the work area to minimize work flow disruptions, Answers phone calls voluntarily, promptly and pleasantly, Records and communicates messages accurately and completely, Informs supervisor of trends, problems or unusual situations, Interacts with all clients in a manner compatible with laboratory goals, and Interacts with colleagues in a manner that promotes a cooperative work environment
5. Maintains professional and departmental growth : Acquires yearly continuing education credits as described in the laboratory policy, Reviews department procedures and policy updates, Attends and contributes to departmental meetings, Completes special assignments in a satisfactory manner, Demonstrates willingness to learn and perform new procedures, Contributes to procedure manuals and policies by recommending and / or writing revisions, Serves on laboratory and CPH committees
6. Procurement : Applying knowledge of human anatomy, aseptic and sterile techniques and phlebotomy equipment, performs blood collection procedures by venipuncture and capillary puncture techniques, selecting the phlebotomy site taking into consideration the condition of the patient and site, age group and the type of test requested by the health care provider.
Perform finger or heel sticks for micro-samples of capillary blood on neonates to adults as required.